It’s finally the new year and we have to start getting used to writing 2016 after all our dates, something that always takes me ages!
It’s a bit of a cliche to to write down new year’s resolutions and it hasn’t been something I was ever particularly into when I was younger but since I became a business owner and then a blogger, I definitely saw how it could be helpful.
Last year, I didn’t write down goals as our dogs had puppies, which totally took over my life and I noticed that my year had less structure, so I wanted to get back on that again this year.
The first thing I did was write a list of all the months and outline my main collections, projects and photoshoots for the year, including adequate preparation times. There is no point releasing a wonderful themed photo-set, perfect for a certain occasion or season when that is already upon us coming to an end: This has happened to me before and I know it is something small companies often struggle with but I’m going to try my hardest to release everything early this year.
Seeing the whole year outlined in one little list actually makes it seem quite short and I feel like breaking it up into sections is helping me set realistic time-frames for achieving each project. When I think I’m not sure what to work on first, I often waste time trying to decide and end up falling behind.
You don’t have to run a business to make a monthly plan of the year, you could include your holidays and social calendar so you can start budgeting in advance or know which months you will have extra cash for luxuries, or you could include goals to achieve in your work or hobbies.
I have also made a bullet point goal list:
- Make a more conscious effort to use cruelty free products. This is something I was already interested in and have done for most of my beauty and household products but I’m still sometimes surprised by the types of products are tested on animals so I’m going to make a bigger effort.
- Only buy clothes I really love, support more independent designers, invest in designer items or make things myself. I have always hated fast fashion but sometimes I run out of time or money and decide to go for the easy option. I want to fight against that this year but ebay will still happen sometimes.
- Go out to eat and drink in more interesting places. My boyfriend and I can both cook, so we hardly ever go out to eat, but I’d like to be less of a hermit this year and explore the new places that have opened in Manchester, there are so many I’ve heard good things about.
- Be more active on social media! This may surprise you, but I don’t like to be glued to my phone like a lot of people. I particularly enjoy instagram and pinterest at the moment but I could really use some encouragement, if you’re on there give me a follow and say hi!
- Go to America. I think I’ve said I wanted to do this for the last 5 years and I’m still sitting here writing this with an empty bank account but hopefully some magic will happen this year.
- Manage my daily tasks and still have some time for myself. This sounds pretty vague but my entire existence is like a juggling act and I’m always striving to complete it without dropping any of the balls. My appearance is always the first thing to go and I want to take more pride in that this year (while also having a clean house, successful business and well-behaved dogs).
- Feature more beauty products on here. This follows on from my decision to take more care of myself. I’ve been getting more into beauty and skincare over the last year after a bit of a break in my “don’t buy anything that isn’t for the business” years and I thought it would be nice to share some of my favourites.
- Start doing videos. I thought I might as well write this one down to see if it motivates me further to do something about it. From how to put on strappy harnesses or latex leggings to house/studio tours and tutorials, I think it would be pointful and fun to make videos. I have wanted to do this for about 3 years now and I go through phases of trying to make a start but it getting it to the stage where it can be released just seems daunting.
- Post regularly. This year I’m taking a step back, planning only two posts and week and trying my hardest to keep up. If I can do that till May, I’ll think about adding something extra.